homologous
homologous
homologous
Fishspace Productions

am
pm

Daylight Saving Time

Welcome, Guest. If this is your first visit, be sure to:
  • check out the FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions.
  • You may read all the messages you have access to.
  • You must be a registered user to post: click. Login or Register
  • To view messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selections below.

• Upload Your Photo
    - Please Login or Register
    - Only Registered Users may Post.

-
    Fishspace Productions
    Fishspace.net

Boards Photo Gallery LoginRegister Asteroids HelpGuestbookContact   

Custom Search
    Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint  
    Help. My fish are dying!
    Read 739 times

Heather Offline
    Minnow

Wicked Wicked FishSpace!

Help. My fish are dying!
    Mar 7th, 2012 at 8:59pm

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank that we purchased in December.  For the last couple of weeks, we have had several fish die (a couple a day) for no apparant reason.  We have checked the water religiously.  We did have a battle with ick about a month ago, but we seem to have taken care of it and my husband is a fanatic about doing the water changouts.  Not too often, but just right.  We can tell which ones aren't doing well because they tend to slow down and stay in one spot until we find them dead.  There was one yesterday that my husband and I looked at and he almost looked like he had a hunchback all of a sudden.  The water is testing fine.  We have plents of snails and algae eaters.  One thing that I wonder about is the fact that we have two bubblers.  One has a section that is somewhat sealed and that is where the water passes through.  It is black with mold and I am wondering if it is putting something dangerous in the water.  Again, I know my water is good, we have the right amout of fish for our tank and we keep our water at the temperature it is supposed to be at.  None of these things are the issue.  We have added some new fish recently to replace some that we lost.  We always put them in a quarantine tank for a while before adding them to the big tank, but it is the established fish that seem to be dying.  If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as I am at a loss.  I don't want to continue to replace fish (they are expensive) and what's more, I like the fish I have and I don't want to lose them.  Please share some advice with me and help me save my fish!!! Cry

IP Logged    

BloodyRue Offline
    Fishspace Administrator
    Mood:
    Martha's Vineyard Rocks!

Re: Help. My fish are dying!
    Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2012 at 1:35am

It sure sounds like you know what you are doing.

Some questions:

1. What does the PH test out at?
    2. What make and model of filter do you use?
    3. What are the species of fish that are dying?
    4. Do the fish die before, or after or  between water changes?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
    IP Logged    

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint  

Link to This Topic

Facebook Twitter Google Digg del.icio.us reddit Linked in MySpace StumbleUpon Yahoo

Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting
    Stop Spam Harvesters, Join Project Honey Pot